Shockwave therapy is an emerging medical treatment based on lithotripsy which has been used for many years to treat kidney stones. The procedure involves audible, low energy sound waves that pass through the skin into the tissues that are causing pain. This process elects an inflammatory response which 'kick starts' the body's natural healing process. See Effects of RSWT
for more info.
At Myomechanics Therapy we offer the benefits of using the best available equipment, delivered by an experienced professional.
Shockwave therapy is safe, effective and clinically proven and is recommended by The National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE).
What is it used to treat?
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Shin Splints/Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome
- Achilles Tendonopathy
- Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome (Lateral hip pain)
- Tennis/Golfers Elbow
- Patella Tendonopathy
- Calcific Tendonitis of the Shoulder and Rotator Cuff Tendonopathy
- Metatarsalgia (forefoot pain)
- Chronic Tendon Injuries
The treatment includes a minimum course of three treatments which are delivered within a week of each other. Further treatments can be added thereafter if required, with a maximum of six treatments. A tailored exercise rehabilitation programme is also included.
When should I not have RSWT (Contraindications)
- Regular or long term use of anti-platelet medication (Clopidogrel) or anticoagulants(Warfarin) Aspirin is not a contraindication.
- Unstable heart or circulatory condition
- Cardiac pacemaker or implant
- Diagnosis of bone cancer
- Acute infection / open wound